Join Jays From The Couch Every Morning For Your Toronto Blue Jays Minor League Recap as well as Kevin Smith and Griffin Conine Updates
The system went 4 and 3. Phillip Clarke and Otto Lopez paced the system with 4-hits each. Jesus Lopez picked up a pair of doubles while Griffin Conine, Jordan Patterson, and Andy Burns went deep. Clarke, Mc Gregory Contrares, and Burns each drove in three runs. Anthony Alford is back on the field after missing over a month on the IL.
Buffalo Bisons (56-53)
Starter- Anthony Kay 4.2IP, 11H, 7R, 3BB, 3K, and 1HRA on 94 pitches
L- Kay (1-4, 6.50ERA)
Thursday, August 1st starting pitcher- Nick Kingham
New Hampshire Fisher Cats (48-60)
The Cats won 3 to 2, edging the RubberDucks with 2 runs in the 9th inning. Forrest Wall and Santiago Espinal walked in the tying and winning runs respectively. The Fisher Cats welcomed back Joshua Palacios who last played on July 23rd, going 3-for-3 in GM2.
Starter- Justin Dillon 6.0IP, 7H, 2R, 1BB, 3K on 92 pitches
W- Brad Wilson (1-0, 4.82ERA)
SV- Dany Jimenez (1)
Thursday, August 1st starting pitcher- Hector Perez
Dunedin Blue Jays (62-42)
Delayed like Sunwing
Lansing Lugnuts (51-56)
The Lugnuts committed 3 errors and their pitchers allowed 8 runs (4 earned) on 7 hits, walking 8 batters and striking out 10. Lansing scored 2 runs in each of the 2nd, 3rd, 9th, and 10th innings to win 10 to 8. Otto Lopez came a HR shy of hitting for the cycle.
HR- Griffin Conine (15)
Starter- Cobi Johnson 2.2IP, 2H, 4R, 4BB, 3K on 65 pitches
W- Marcus Reyes (6-1, 2.37ERA)
H- Fitz Stadler (1)
BSV- Josh Hiatt (1)
Thursday, August 1st starting pitcher- Eric Pardinho
Vancouver Canadians (18-28)
The C’s won 13 to 5
Starter- Nick Fraze 3.0IP, 3H, 1R, 0BB, 4K on 34 pitches
W- Jared DiCesare (2-0, 5.40ERA)
Thursday, August 1st starting pitcher- Alex Nolan
Bluefield Blue Jays (21-19)
Won 7 to 5. All seven runs were driven in by six different players, one unearned run accounting for number 7.
Starter- Naswell Paulino 3.0IP, 5H, 2R, 3BB, 3K on 66 pitches
W- Juan Acosta (3-2, 5.14ERA)
GCL Blue Jays (12-16)
Lost 4 to 2. Anthony Alford made his first rehab appearance, he was lifted after 2 at-bats but he hit a double.
Starter- Andrew McInvale 3.0IP, 0H, 0R, 1BB, 4K
L- Juanfer Castro (0-1, 2.45ERA)
DSL Blue Jays (24-27)
Lost 2 to 1
Starter- Fernando Chacon 5.0IP, 5H, 0R, 2BB, 4K
L- Juan Martinez (1-1, 5.31ERA)
SV- Jose Quintana (2)
- Buffalo Rowdy Tellez (1-for-4, 2B, 2RBI, BB, K), Jordan Patterson (3-for-5, R, 2B, HR, RBI, 2K)
- NH Forrest Wall (2-for-4, 2B, RBI, BB, K), Santiago Espinal (2-for-4, 2RBI, BB, CS), Chad Spanberger (1-for-4, R, 2B, 2K), and Brad Wilson (2IP, H, 0R, 0BB, 2K)
- Lansing Otto Lopez (4-for-5, 2R, 2B, 3B, 2RBI, BB), Gabriel Moreno (1-for-2, 3R, 3BB, K), Ryan Gold (2-for-4, RBI, BB, 2K), Tanner Kirwer (3-for-4, 2R, K, SB), and Fitz Stadler (3IP, 0H, 0R, 2BB, 4K)
- C’s Phillip Clarke (4-for-5, 4R, 2B, 3RBI, BB), Tanner Morris (2-for-5, R, BB, 2K), Jesus Lopez (3-for-6, R, 2-2B, 2RBI), Will Robertson (2-for-4, 2R, 3B, 2RBI, 2BB), Mc Gregory Contreras (1-for-4, R, 2B, 3RBI, 2BB, 3K), Cameron Eden (2-for-4, R, 2B, 3B, RBI), and Parker Caracci (2.0IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 2K)
- Bluefield Eric Rivera (3-for-4, 2R, 2B, RBI, BB, SB), Spencer Horwitz (2-for-4, RBI), Miguel Hiraldo (1-for-5, R, 2B, RBI), Scotty Bradley (2-for-3, R, RBI, BB, K), Anthony Morales (2-for-4, R, 2B), and Juan Acosta (3IP, 0H, 0R, 1BB, 4K)
- GCL Hugo Cardona (1-for-4, 3B, BB, K), Orelvis Martinez (1-for-4, 2R, 3B, K), Alexis Carmona (5IP, 4H, 0R, 1BB, 1K), Andrew McInvale (see above)
- DSL Gabriel Martinez (2-for-4, R, 2B), Yeison Jimenez (1-for-2, 2B, RBI, 2BB, K), and Chacon (see above)
Player of the Day
Wednesday, July 31st POD goes to Andy Burns
The 28-yr-old former 11th round selection had another 3 hit performance, his 2nd in two games. DH’ing and batting 2nd for the Bison, Burns got the party started with a 1st inning single and scored on a Patrick Kivlehan single.
Andy Burns went deep in the 4th inning, cashing in Alen Hanson and giving Buffalo a 4 to 3 lead. He walked in the 6th inning but was stranded. He singled home Roemon Fields in the 8th inning and scored on a Rowdy Tellez double.
The native of Greenville, SC., returned to the Jays organization after spending two seasons in Korea. He’s been outstanding for the Herd, splitting time between 1B (13), 2B (18), and 3B (46). Burns is getting on-base at a .376 clip with 49 walks and 57 strikeouts while collecting 13 doubles, a pair of triples, and 11HR. He owns a .816OPS to go with a solid .275BA in 89 games.
Over his last 10 games, Andy Burns is batting .333 with 7 runs scored, 2HR, 9RBI, 7/6 BB/K, and 1SB. I really hope the Blue Jays find room on the 40-man to call him up for September.
The Kevin Smith and Griffin Conine Show
Kevin Smith went hitless in 4 at-bats with 3 strikeouts. I guess the pressure sooooo much attention was too much for him. Smith has a .361BA with 2HR and 5RBI in his last 10 games. He has also struck out 13 times during this stretch and 113 in 88 games. The power is real but so is the swing-and-miss risk.
Griffin Conine was in RF and batting 4th for the Lugnuts. He scored a pair runs, hit a HR, drove in a pair, walked twice, and struck out twice. Conine has 2HR and 5 RBI in the past three games. He is still batting just .146 over his last 10 and .250 in 24 July games but he also mashed 7 dingers and drove in 20 during the month.
*Featured Image Credit: R.Mueller
HEAD ON OVER TO THE JAYS FROM THE COUCH VS ALS STORE AND GET SOME GREAT SWAG THAT YOU WILL LOOK GREAT IN AND YOU CAN FEEL GREAT ABOUT.
YOU CAN ALSO HEAD TO OUR JAYS FROM THE COUCH VS ALS FUNDRAISING PAGE TO MAKE A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION DIRECTLY TO ALS CANADA.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING JAYS FROM THE COUCH! CHECK US OUT ON TWITTER @JAYSFROMCOUCH AND INSTAGRAM. LIKE US FACEBOOK. BE SURE TO CATCH THE LATEST FROM JAYS FROM THE COUCH RADIO AND SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Lover of all things Toronto Blue Jays. Blue Jays MiLB fanatic. I strive for average while stumbling onto above average. Rogers isn’t cheap. Baseball is a business. Your right, but I’m more right.