The Toronto Blue Jays head to the Bronx for a date with the ALE leading New York Yankees
So last week I predicted the New York Yankees would sweep the Blue Jays right out of Toronto. I was wrong. The Blue Jays took two out of three from the Yanks. Toronto went on the road for a three-game set against the lowly Baltimore Orioles. The O’s and Jays had a somewhat exciting series considering both teams record. Cavan Biggio became the 1st Blue Jays rookie to hit for the cycle and 3rd Blue Jay All-Time, Randall Grichuk hit a go-ahead grand slam in the 9th and is finishing the year on a HR barrage, and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. is back from his leg injury.
Toronto swept the O’s and guaranteed the Blue Jays won’t lose 100 games this season. The Blue Jays outscored the O’s 27 to 19. The Blue Jays have won 7 of their last 10 and own a 62 and 91 record.
The Yankees won their 100th game of 2019, beating the Los Angeles Angels 9 to 1. New York is 6-4 over the last 10 games and have a 100-54 record with a 9.5 game lead over the Tampa Bay Rays for the ALE crown. New York took 2 of 3 from the Angels winning the opener 8 to 0 and the rubber match 9 to 1. LA took GM2 3 to 2.
The Yankees lead the season series with 9 wins and 7 loses. Toronto won the last series but the Yankees outscored the Jays 22 to 15. The Blue Jays won GM1 and GM3 by scores of 6-5 and 6-4. The Yankees won GM2 13-3.
Over the last 30 days:
- Randal Grichuk owns a .216BA with 8 doubles, 1 triples, 7HR, and 18RBI
- Bo Bichette owns a .286BA with 6 doubles and 4HR
- Cavan Biggio owns a .313BA with a 1.057OPS, 5 doubles, 2 triple, and 5HR
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. owns a .258BA with 3 doubles, a triple, and 1HR
- Teoscar Hernandez owns a .188BA with 4 doubles, 3HR, and 32 strikeouts.
- Reese McGuire owns a .367BA with 4 doubles, 2HR, and a 1.018OPS while Danny Jansen owns a .182BA with zero double, zero HR, and zero RBI.
Over the last 30 days on the mound:
- Ken Giles has converted 4-for-4 save opportunities with a 0-1 record and 2.70ERA in 10 appearances.
- Trent Thorton and his new curve grip, thank you Clay Buchholz, leads the club with 25K over this period. He is 1-1 with a 3.04ERA with a 1.18WHIP in his last 5 games.
- Jason Adams and Buddy Boshers lead the club with 12 appearances each; however, Adams owns a 6.00ERA with 5BB and 6K and Boshers owns a 3.52ERA with 4BB and 7K.
- Derek Law continues to give the Blue Jays decent relief with a 1-1 record, 4.76ERA, 2-for-3 in save opportunities, 11BB and 9K, and no HRA.
Friday, September 20th, 7:05 pm start
Waguespack: 4-5, 4.70ERA, 4.99FIP, 1.38WHIP, 3.5BB/9, and 7.0K/9
Jacob Waguespack will take the mound for his 15th time this year, Toronto is 6 and 8 in games he’s pitched. He went 2-1 with a 2.88ERA in 5 games in August but September has not been so kind. In 3 September starts, Wagues owns a 0-3 record with a 8.25ERA, allowing 3HR, walking 9 and striking out 10 over 12.0IP. The Yankees handed him his 5th loss, scoring 3 runs on 7 hits over 3.2IP on September 14th.
Happ: 12-8, 5.07ERA, 5.39FIP, 1.32WHIP, 2.9BB/9, and 7.7K/9.
The 35-yr-old will be making his 30th start on Friday….maybe. Happ has a little biceps tendinitis which may keep him from pitching in this series. All indications point to Happ taking the mound. Happ allowed 2 runs over 4.2IP against the Tigers on September 12, so he’s had a few extra days of rest to get treatment on the bicep. J.A. Happ last faced Toronto on August 9th, taking the L. He allowed 6R on 4H over 5IP. He owns a 1.06ERA with 8BB and 18K over his last 3 starts (17.0IP).
Saturday, September 21st, 1:05 pm start
Zeuch: 1-0, 4.61ERA, 4.46FIP, 1.61WHIP, 5.3BB/9, and 6.6K/9
T.J. will take the mound for his 4th major league game. Toronto is 2 and 1 games T.J. Zeuch has pitched. The Yanks scored 3 runs on 5 hits off Zeuch on September 15th but it was Zeuch who walked away with career win #1. Zeuch walked 3 and struck out 5, collecting 8 groundballs. He has pitched at least 4IP in all three appearances.
Paxton: 14-6, 3.88ERA, 3.92FIP, 1.30WHIP, 3.4BB/9, and 11.2K/9
Paxton has picked up the W each of his last 9 starts. James Paxton has not lost since July 26th. He is 3-0 with a 0.48ERA, 6BB, and 22K over 18.2IP in three September starts. New York is 18-9 in his starts. He faced Toronto in his previous start on September 14th, allowing 1 run on 3 hits over 5.0IP.
Sunday, September 22nd, 1:05 pm start
Thornton: 5-9, 4.93ERA, 4.66FIP, 1.43WHIP, 3.6BB/9, and 8.6K/9
Wilmer Font has started the last couple starts for Trent Thornton. This game should be no different. Thornton is pitching much better recently with a 1.23ERA and 0.818WHIP in his last 14.2IP (3 games). The Blue Jays are 11-19 in games Trent pitches, winning the last two games he’s pitched. In his last outing, Trent Thornton pitched 5 innings, allowing one run on 3 hits over the Baltimore Orioles. Thornton last pitched against the Yankees on August 11th going 6 innings, allowing one run on three hits, walking one, and striking out six.
Severino: 0-0, 0.00ERA, 2.74FIP, 1.00WHIP, 4.5BB/9, and 9.0K/9
The Yankees welcomed back their talented young 25-yr-old budding ACE from the IL on September 17th. He started the game, threw 4 scoring innings in a game the Yanks would eventually win 8 to 0.
More About the Yankees
The Yanks have a .270BA (3th) with a .834OPS (2nd). NY has hit 292HR (2nd), 16 triples (28th), and 277 doubles (12th). NYY have 54SB (21st) while owning a .341OBP (2nd), walking 548 (9th), and striking out 1348 SO (17th)
On the mound, New York owns a 4.32ERA (12th), surrendering 236HR (7th), 702 runs (21st). Opponents are batting .248 (11th) with a 1.30WHIP (10th) off NYY pitching.
Over the last 30 days:
- D.J. LeMahieu is batting .291 with 3 doubles and 4HR
- Aaron Judge is batting .287 with 4 doubles and 11HR
- Gleyber Torres is batting .302 with 5 doubles and 9HR
- Brett Gardner is batting .253 with 4 doubles, a triple, and 9HR
- Didi Gregorius is only batting .205 but leads the team during this stretch with 20RBI
- Cory Gearrin leads the club with 13 appearances during this period He owns a 4.76ERA with an OppBA of .319.
- Aroldis Champman is 2 for 2 in saved opportunities with a 1.59ERA and 10K in 6 games
- James Paxton leads the club with 37K over his last 5 starts.
Prediction: I predicted the Yankees would sweep the Blue Jays last week. Despite the Blue Jays playing some decent baseball against some decent opponents (BOs/NYY/BALT) over the last three series, I still feel the Yankees should sweep this series. I think the Yanks will be motivated to lay a beating on the upstart Blue Jays after Toronto took the last series.
HEAD ON OVER TO THE JAYS FROM THE COUCH VS ALS STORE AND GET SOME GREAT SWAG THAT YOU WILL LOOK GREAT IN AND YOU CAN FEEL GREAT ABOUT.
YOU CAN ALSO HEAD TO OUR JAYS FROM THE COUCH VS ALS FUNDRAISING PAGE TO MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION DIRECTLY TO ALS CANADA.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING JAYS FROM THE COUCH! CHECK US OUT ON TWITTER @JAYSFROMCOUCH AND LIKE US FACEBOOK. BE SURE TO CATCH THE LATEST FROM JAYS FROM THE COUCH RADIO
Lover of all things Toronto Blue Jays. Blue Jays MiLB fanatic. I strive for average while stumbling onto above average. Rogers isn’t cheap. Baseball is a business. Your right, but I’m more right.