Jays From the Couch brings you Episode 56 of the Jays Nest Podcast. This week, we discuss arbitration, Blue Jays’ evil leadership and much more!
Episode 56 of the Jays Nest Podcast features another great Toronto Blue Jays discussion with my co-host, Keegan Matheson. We break down the results of the Blue Jays arbitration process and the deals that came from it. We examine the perception of Blue Jays’ president, Mark Shapiro. Believe it or not, he’s not so popular thus far in Toronto. We also look at the depth at catcher position. Hint: It’s not deep. We also play a little Star Wars game.
In This Week’s Episode:
- We discuss the results of the arbitration filings last Friday. Many were upset that the Blue Jays did not “just give” Josh Donaldson the difference between the two asking prices. After all, $400K is not a lot of money when you’re talking about the AL MVP. But, is it as bad as that?
- We went through the list of the other arbitration eligible players and briefly discussed what they bring to the club while evaluating their deals.
- Brett Cecil will be a free agent at the end of the 2016 season. Building off a post I wrote about perhaps extending him, we discussed the likelihood of such a signing.
- From there, we moved into a discussion about recent comments that compared club president, Mark Shapiro to Darth Vader of Star Wars. This came from an excellent piece by Brendan Kennedy of The Star that sees the new boss
defendingexplaining himself to Blue Jays fans. Kennedy’s article prompted me to call for folks to ease up on Shapiro, which led to a similar line of discussion on the podcast.
- The catching position looks very thin for the Blue Jays beyond Russell Martin. We looked at the position and wonder if having Josh Thole is such a bad thing. Listen to us discuss other options and you might be OK with him being the backup.
- We ran through the list of Spring Training invites. The list emphasizes exactly where the real depth of the organization lies.
- We had a little fun with the Darth Vader comparison and played a game of matching Blue Jays with characters from Star Wars. John Gibbons was the more interesting…and potentially insulting of the lot. But, it was all meant in fun.
- We take a reader question about potential depth options remaining on the free agent market.
The Jays’ Nest Podcast is a weekly show hosted by Keegan Matheson of Jays Journal and myself (Founder of Jays From the Couch, Shaun Doyle), featuring recaps, news, opinion, analysis, special guests, and more. Each week we bring our own observations and views about the Toronto Blue Jays to our listeners. We try to keep an open mind while bringing the fans’ perspective to the goings on in Blue Jays Land.
Obviously, we think you should subscribe to our show so that you get it automatically sent to your favorite listening device. Here’s how:
On an iPhone or iPad- Listening on an IOS device? Then simply click here to open up the Podcasts app that Apple pushes by default to all iOS devices, then click subscribe! And, hey! Why not leave us a rating while you’re there?
On an Android tablet or phone- Android has no default podcast player, so you will need to download an app. We suggest Stitcher. But, you can also find us using whichever podcast catcher you prefer. Just search for Jays’ Nest Podcast and you will find us.
We’ve made it super easy for you to find us everywhere. We welcome your feedback, whether it is about something you’ve heard on our show, something you’d like to hear or about the show itself. We want to make this your “go to” source for Blue Jays talk!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING JAYS FROM THE COUCH! CHECK US OUT ON TWITTER@JAYSFROMCOUCH
Shaun Doyle is a long time Blue Jays fan and writer! He decided to put those things together and create Jays From the Couch. Shaun is the host of Jays From the Couch Radio, which is highly ranked in iTunes, and he has appeared on TV and radio spots.