Episode 78 of the Jays Nest Podcast brings you a look at the 2016 MLB Draft for the Toronto Blue Jays, our Stat of the Week, Hot Takes & more!
Episode 78 of the Jays Nest Podcast features a breakdown of our reactions to the Blue Jays 2016 Draft. including the difference in philosophy with new management and our thoughts on the crap shoot hat is the draft. We also continue our Stat of the Week segment with a look at On Base Percentage (OBP). Our “Hot Takes” feature an interesting draft pick and a look ahead to the next time the Blue Jays see the Royals. We also take a reader question about Trade Deadline targets.
In This Week’s Episode:
- We break down the 2016 Draft for the Toronto Blue Jays. Our focus is on the overall difference in approach to the draft new GM, Ross Atkins, and president, Mark Shapiro, seem to have brought to the team who make each selection. There is an interesting theme that runs through this year’s class of new Blue Jays, which we talk about, as well.
- We touch on a recent rumor that has manager, John Gibbons, potentially leaving at the end of this season. For those of you who missed it, you can find it HERE. How much stock you put into this kind of thing depends on your personality, but we encourage you to use caution.
- From there, we dive into our weekly “Stat of the Week” segment. The past few weeks have seen us talk about pitching stats. This week, we switched to the other side of things and discuss a batter’s OBP. As well as discussing what its purpose is, we put it into some context about current Blue Jays players like Devon Travis and Jose Bautista.
- Our “Hot Takes” segment features Keegan’s pick for most interesting player to watch from this year’s draft and I opine about just how exciting the July series against the Kansas City Royals will be with Yordano Ventura not showing any signs of maturing and learning from his behaviour.
- Our reader question segment challenges us to make some sort of guess as to who could be a ‘buy low’ impact pickup heading into the July 31st Trade Deadline period.
The Jays’ Nest Podcast is a weekly show hosted by Keegan Matheson of Jays Journal and myself (Founder of Jays From the Couch, Shaun Doyle), featuring recaps, news, opinion, analysis, special guests, and more. Each week we bring our own observations and views about the Toronto Blue Jays to our listeners. We try to keep an open mind while bringing the fans’ perspective to the goings on in Blue Jays Land.
Obviously, we think you should subscribe to our show so that you get it automatically sent to your favorite listening device. Here’s how:
On an iPhone or iPad- Listening on an iOS device? Then simply click here to open up the Podcasts app that Apple pushes by default to all iOS devices, then click subscribe! And, hey! Why not leave us a rating while you’re there?
On an Android tablet or phone- Android has no default podcast player, so you will need to download an app. We suggest Stitcher. But, you can also find us using whichever podcast catcher you prefer. Just search for Jays’ Nest Podcast and you will find us.
We’ve made it super easy for you to find us everywhere. We welcome your feedback, whether it is about something you’ve heard on our show, something you’d like to hear or about the show itself. We want to make this your “go to” source for Blue Jays talk!
YOU CAN CHECK OUT OUR PODCAST SPONSORS- NO HALFTIME AND DOWNLOAD THEIR HEAD TO HEAD FANTASY APP TODAY!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING JAYS FROM THE COUCH! CHECK US OUT ON TWITTER @JAYSFROMCOUCH AND INSTAGRAM. LIKE US FACEBOOK. BE SURE TO CATCH THE JAYS NEST PODCAST!
Shaun Doyle is a long time Blue Jays fan and writer! He decided to put those things together and create Jays From the Couch. Shaun is the host of Jays From the Couch Radio, which is highly ranked in iTunes, and he has appeared on TV and radio spots.