Jays From the Couch brings you Episode 82 of the Jays Nest Podcast. This week: All Star Game and the Toronto Blue Jays’ approach to the Trade Deadline
Episode 82 of the Jays Nest Podcast features great Toronto Blue Jays discussion, as always. This week, we touch on the Home Run Derby show that Giancarlo Stanton put on. We also dig into the meaning and purpose behind the All Star Game. From there, we kick off our MLB Trade Deadline discussion by looking at what kind of moves we can realistically expect the Blue Jays to make. We look at what chips they have to trade. We bring our Stat of the Week back as well as our Hot Takes. All of this and some great reader questions await you.
In This Week’s Episode:
- We gush over the Home Run Derby performance of Giancarlo Stanton and wonder what other skills competitions MLB could start running as part of their All Star Weekend.
- This, of course, led to a discussion about what the point of the All Star game really is. Why can’t MLB just leave it as a showcase for talent and leave out the forced meaning of World Series home field advantage?
- The big point of discussion after All Star weekend is always the July 31st Trade Deadline. We started by laying a framework for what kind of deals the Blue Jays will look to make. Of the two choices, we figure the team will look for ‘team control’ type deals over rentals.
- We dig into what kind of trade chips the Blue Jays have to offer. This comes on the heels of our look at the trade value Justin Smoak has to offer. If the club is going to pull off a deal, it will have to get creative with what it gives up, which could include big league pieces.
- From there, we look ahead at the second half of the season, which will see Jose Bautista make his return to the lineup from injury. In case you were wondering, we are not on board with the ‘Jose will disrupt the current winning chemistry’ narrative.
- Our Stat of the Week segment focuses on the win/loss record of the Blue Jays, their position in the standings and how important it is. Hint: it is no longer early.
- Our Hot Takes have to do with the usage of Aaron Sanchez. His move to the bullpen could leave the club with a massive hole that they do not have the pieces to fill. But, if they do decide to move him, it could be done with very careful manipulation of his innings, which is also a possibility.
- We wrap up with some great reader questions that ask about the future: the Trade Deadline, the year 2018 and those who will impact the future of the club.
The Jays’ Nest Podcast is a weekly show hosted by Keegan Matheson of Jays Journal and myself (Founder of Jays From the Couch, Shaun Doyle), featuring recaps, news, opinion, analysis, special guests, and more. Each week we bring our own observations and views about the Toronto Blue Jays to our listeners. We try to keep an open mind while bringing the fans’ perspective to the goings on in Blue Jays Land.
Obviously, we think you should subscribe to our show so that you get it automatically sent to your favorite listening device. Here’s how:
On an iPhone or iPad- Listening on an iOS device? Then simply click here to open up the Podcasts app that Apple pushes by default to all iOS devices, then click subscribe! And, hey! Why not leave us a rating while you’re there?
On an Android tablet or phone- Now on Google Play! You can now find us easily on Google’s own music service. CLICK HERE. Another option: Android has no default podcast player, so you will need to download an app. We suggest Stitcher. But, you can also find us using whichever podcast catcher you prefer. Just search for Jays’ Nest Podcast and you will find us.
We’ve made it super easy for you to find us everywhere. We welcome your feedback, whether it is about something you’ve heard on our show, something you’d like to hear or about the show itself. We want to make this your “go to” source for Blue Jays talk!
YOU CAN CHECK OUT OUR PODCAST SPONSORS- NO HALFTIME AND DOWNLOAD THEIR HEAD TO HEAD FANTASY APP TODAY!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING JAYS FROM THE COUCH! CHECK US OUT ON TWITTER @JAYSFROMCOUCH AND INSTAGRAM. LIKE US FACEBOOK. BE SURE TO CATCH THE JAYS NEST PODCAST!
Shaun Doyle is a long time Blue Jays fan and writer! He decided to put those things together and create Jays From the Couch. Shaun is the host of Jays From the Couch Radio, which is highly ranked in iTunes, and he has appeared on TV and radio spots.